What is Art Therapy?
Art Therapy is a mental health profession, which helps individuals externalize and organize their thoughts and feelings that may otherwise be difficult to articulate. The guided creative process as well as the end product can be used to enhance a person’s emotional, spiritual, social, cognitive, and physical well-being.
What is it not?
Art Therapy is not about painting the perfect picture (no artistic skills are required)
Art Therapy is not restricted to age and demographic
Art Therapists do not interpret your artwork
Who can benefit from Art Therapy?
Anyone from all ages and demographics can benefit from Art Therapy. Art Therapy can be used for a wide range of goals: enhancing communication and self-expression, self-discovery, problem solving, developing health coping strategies, etc. Art Therapy can support individuals in working through specific issues:
Depression & Anxiety
Our centre practices from a client- centered perspective. We see the client and therapist as a team of equal partners rather than an expert and a patient.
The Benefits of Art Therapy
- Can work with people of any age
- Can work with people with varying cognitive/functioning levels
- Does not require artistic skills. The focus is on what comes up through the art making process, not the end result
- Can be used to communicate unconscious parts of our experience which are not accessible in our conscious stream of thinking, which is expressed through our verbal communication
- Does not require words so may be easier to express difficult emotions/memories
- Some people are not able to communicate verbally (young children, Alzheimer's disease, developmental delays, etc.)
- Is physical proof of our internal experiences
- Externalization of experiences helps clients detach from their problems (cathartic & reduces self-stigma and shame)
- Helps to look at issues from an observational perspective
Art therapy information session
We offer 60 min art therapy information session.
Who is this information session for?
Organizations interested in finding out how art therapy can help their clientele
In this 60 min information session, we will cover:
What is art therapy?
How does art therapy help with supporting different mental health needs
Open space for any questions you have regarding art therapy
Short art directive for you to experience some of the benefits from art therapy
This is a pay-what-you-can information session, all proceeds will go towards supporting our organization to continuously fulfill on our mission.
If there are more than 10 people from your organization whom would like to learn more about art therapy, and how it would be beneficial to the specific clientele you are serving. We can bring the art therapy information session to you at your organization for a minimal fee for the cost of travel and art supplies.