What is Art Therapy?
"Art therapy combines the creative process and psychotherapy, facilitating
self-exploration and understanding. Using imagery, colour and shape as part
of this creative therapeutic process, thoughts and feelings can be expressed
that would otherwise be difficult to articulate."
- Canadian Art Therapy Association 2018
The Benefits of Art Therapy
- Art therapy is a flexible treatment modality and can work with any population
- Art expression can reach unconscious material that cannot be accessed verbally, which the therapist can use to direct the therapy process
- Art creation process provides a cathartic release in a both physical and emotional sense
- Art therapy gives agency to individuals in the artistic choices they make to self-express, and what they choose to say about their artwork, or when they decide to speak about the artwork
- The artwork allows individuals to externalize thoughts and feeling, to work with them in a tangible way, and the opportunity to review their therapeutic progress
Art Therapy Services
Individual Art Therapy Sessions
Following a client centered positive psychology approach, we offer 50 minute individual art therapy sessions for in-depth therapeutic work with individuals who are looking for extra support in their mental health.
Group Art Therapy
Art Therapy groups are typically 10-12-weeks in length and cater to different populations. Group programming varies in price depending on our available funding, from free-affordable (based on a sliding scale).
We provide 1 hour info sessions for community organizations who are interested in learning more about art therapy, through a short presentation and an example art therapy wokrshop.
We offer a sliding scale of a minimum of $40 for the following individuals:
Single parent families
ODSP, OW, AOP (disability and unemployed)
Students, Youth and Young Adults
Temporary Canadians (and Undocumented Canadians)
To book a session or for more information please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org